For the first time since becoming a parent, you're thinking about handing your child over to a babysitter. Do you dare to? Can you?
The following tips might make getting over this hurdle easier for you, your child - and your babysitter!
1. If you appear calm and relaxed, your child will feel that what's happening is natural and not that complicated.
2. Your child will feel more secure sleeping at home, so it's good if your babysitter can come to your place.
3. Leave your child with someone familiar - your child must feel safe and secure with their babysitter.
4. If you're breastfeeding at night and your child won't take a bottle, you should wait a while before leaving your child with someone else.
5. Tell your babysitter all about your evening routine. Sticking to the same routines gives your child a sense of security.
6. Children feel more secure if they're allowed to fall asleep and wake up in the same environment, with the same people – so don't leave your child in the care of a babysitter while they’re asleep.
7. It’s a great idea to take a cell phone with you so that your babysitter can call you if they need to. But leave them in peace - don't phone up checking whether everything's okay!
8. Don't forget to enjoy your evening! Otherwise there was no point in all that organising...
More tips? Please share here!