Adult contact, lunches, work meetings – does it feel odd to be back at work after becoming a parent? While it's great to meet your work colleagues and get started again, you may be missing a certain little person. It can be tough. Sometimes it can also feel really depressing.
Look after yourself/yourselves
It's important to look after yourself when you go back to work. It's easy to get stressed out because you want to be a great colleague and a fantastic parent.
Here are some tips:
• Lower your expectations of yourself in terms of being a parent and working the way you used to do. Things have changed, and you'll find new routines.
• Allow yourself to feel your emotions, whether you feel a lot or nothing at all. You're going through a huge upheaval in your life.
• Think about what's important. How do you want to and how can you prioritise both having a career and being a parent?
• Lower your ambitions and focus on what feels right and important. This is a very special time in your life, and it won't last forever.
• Talk to your partner about how to split everything that needs doing so you both have more energy for each other and the family. Remember that equality makes for long-lasting relationships.
Is everyone tired after work and nursery? Read our tips for handling the afternoon slump.