Important questions when choosing a preschool
It's time to find a good preschool, a difficult and important decision many parents face. Here are some key questions that will help you decide whether it's the right preschool for you, your child and your family.
What makes a good preschool?
Here are some questions worth considering when visiting preschools in your neighbourhood:
• How many staff members are there per child? The more, the better.
• How high is staff turnover? A low turnover can be an indication that the staff are happy.
• Are staff trained in early childhood education; do they have specialist skills?
• What are the surroundings like, indoors and out?
• Do I, as a parent, have any influence, and how?
But above all, trust your instincts: What was the atmosphere like? What were the staff like? How did they treat your child? Your first impressions are extremely important.
What questions do you think are important to ask of a preschool? Add to the list here!
For more information on choosing a preschool, and what other early childhood education options are available, go to www.teamup.co.nz and click under ‘young child’, then ‘early childhood education’.