Although you are now eating for two, you shouldn't eat twice as much. Instead, you should eat larger amounts of certain foods while pregnant.
• Choose whole grains. Whole grain bread and porridge are packed with fibre, which helps prevent constipation.
• Eat fruit and vegetables at every meal. Experts recommend six portions of fruit and vegetables every day, including yellow fruits and green leafy vegetables. Think colourful.
Fruits, berries and vegetables are high in vitamins, minerals and folic acid.
• Eat plenty of proteins including lean meat, chicken, eggs, nuts and pulses. Protein is important for the baby's development. If you are a vegetarian , it is particularly important to get plenty of protein during pregnancy. The same applies to iron.
• Read about optimising your iron intake. Anaemia is common in pregnant women.
• Eat fish a couple of times a week. Fish contains essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin D, iodine and selenium. However, some types of fish are more healthy than others, and certain fish should be avoided because it contains too many toxins. Read about what types of fish to eat during pregnancy.
• Eat dairy products. They contain calcium and vitamin D , which are important for the baby's bones and teeth.
• Limit caffeine. High doses of coffee can increase the risk of miscarriage. The National Food Agency recommends no more than three cups of coffee a day, or up to six cups of black tea. Other caffeinated drinks should also be drunk in moderation.
• Feel free to cook with butter, margarine and oil. Even if you want to limit your calorie intake, it's important to eat some fat. Fat is important for your baby's brain development.
• Limit your intake of sugar and salt. Choose salt enriched with iodine. Many herbal and mineral salts do not contain added iodine. Read the contents.
• Drink plenty of water, ideally two litres a day.
Certain foods can cause illnesses during pregnancy, such as raw meat and some cheeses.
Read more about healthy eating on the website of the National Food Agency