When it comes to young children, you may already have the best toys lying around in your cupboards and drawers. Baking trays, wooden spoons and plastic tools can be treasures to a curious baby. But you need to know that the plastic is free of toxins and that there's no risk of anything being swallowed or resulting in choking – just as with the toys you buy or are given.
For more comprehensive guidance, go to the Swedish Consumer Agency.
Organic toys – toxin-free toys
There are laws and regulations regarding safe toys, and parents are increasingly demanding toxin-free toys. Well-organised shops or online stores have developed new materials and organic toys. Ask in-store and delve carefully into webshops.
Find out about the toy
To be certain a toy isn't dangerous, it's always best to ask the seller or be well-informed from, say, the Swedish Consumer Agency. Some suggestions for things you need to know:
• Is it free of toxins, any toxic paint, lacquer or varnish?
• Does it contain any dangerous sharp edges or points
• Can it be swallowed or does it represent a risk of suffocation?
• Does it contain any parts that could break off and get stuck in or around a child's neck?
• Does it damage their hearing?
Legislation and regulations for children's toys
In addition to laws and ordinances, legislation on toy safety also includes regulations issued by:
• The Swedish Consumer Agency
• The Swedish Chemicals Agency
• The Swedish National Electrical Safety Board
However, this legislation does not cover all hazards, and there is also supplementary legislation
In order to be marketed, a toy must:
• be CE marked by the manufacturer
• be labelled with the manufacturer's address
• carry an EU guarantee
• carry the correct warnings and instructions in Swedish
You're the best toy of all
Despite all those toys, you're still the best fun to play with. Kiddie rhymes, songs and finger games are always popular. Looking at pictures and reading books is also fun. Having a bath can be a fun game! Add in your child's innate desire to develop, and all the ingredients are in place.
More articles on playing and friendship
Indoor games ideas
The route to friendship
Games for babies and toddlers
Fun and games together